Today’s halving activity:
- Write even numbers 2-20 on pieces of paper and hide them in a bag or box.
- Get your child to pull a piece of paper out and read the number to you.
- Now they can build a tower with that number of bricks.
- Ask your child: “how can we half of this tower?” Allow your child time to have a go at problem solving and modelling their ideas to you.
- Now explain breaking the tower in half. Get your child to do this.
- Ask them “how do we know it is in half”. Again allow them time to explain it to you.
- Now show them that you need to count each half to make sure they have the same amount of bricks.
- Repeat activity giving less support each time.
Post your tower halving activity on Tapestry for the teachers to see.
(If you don’t have bricks/Lego/blocks at home then make a ‘snake’ and line objects along the floor - or get creative!)