Today you will be learning
We are revisiting the phase 3 sounds this week so continuing to practise reading and writing these. Today the sound we will be looking at is: igh.
Start your phonics session by watching Geraldine the Giraffe here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYCR2RZ4ZYY
Once you have watched the video see if you can think of some words that have the igh sound in them e.g. night, light, bright.
Then write a caption using one of the words they have written, e.g: The moon is bright in the night.
- Ask the children if they know any famous pirates
- Introduce the Famous Pirates power point, attached below.
- Talk to the children about the pirates’ ethics-might someone be after them for their behaviour? Who?
- Do a wanted poster.
- Recap doubling – include language ‘twice as many’.
- Play ‘fastest finger’ game from last week.
- Recap doubles by using the ‘doubling machine’ powerpoint. How many objects have you put in? How many will make double?
- You could then make your own doubling machine at home. All you need is a cardboard box and a range of objects.
- The adult can put a number of objects (does not have to be the same object) into the box, then your child doubles it by putting the same number of objects in again, then get them all out and count them.